Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Fly

We were at a party (the Hull's first annual Christmas one to be exact) when Joey was two and he was acting like a total turkey, as most 2-yr-olds do. Our friends Rachael and Nephi were commiserating the woes of taking our toddlers out in public and Nephi said something that was so true and so profound, we use his quote to this day. He said "Having a 2-yr-old in public is like walking around with your fly down. It's just embarrassing and there's nothing you can do about it!"

When Joey was two we had him on a leash. I know, I know 'why would you treat your kid like a dog' right? But he walked early (9months) and he was everywhere. My thought was, I would rather have him on a leash than not at all. People could criticize my harness , but they would be even more critical if I hadn't taken the necessary precautions and lost my sweet wandering lad. I remember getting some pretty embarrassing looks from people, especially when he would throw a fit and drop to the floor before we had a chance to stop. He would slide a little...I know it sounds terrible, but I swear we weren't dragging him.

My all time favorite embarrassing Aaron moment involved a pool noodle in the light bulb aisle at Walmart.. Oh yeah, what you're thinking is exactly what happened. LOTS of broken light bulbs!!!

Cy is still young enough that it's slightly embarrassing to take him out. Especially with his big brothers there to egg him on. Once recently we were at Target and Cy was screaming his brains out for who knows why. I was in the shoe aisle and David was in the men's department and you could hear him where I was standing. Let's face it, the whole store could hear him. A lady and her daughter were shopping next to me. The woman said "Somebody needs to shut that kid up or take him home!" I said, "I know right? My gosh what's wrong with that kid?" The look I got later in the store when she saw me with the screaming baby was priceless! He also used to yell at people when they would walk by. "NO! YOU CAN'T HAVE MY STUFF!!! DON'T TOUCH MY CART!!!" People would always have this bewildered look wondering if that little turd was really talking to them!

Tonight we were at Costco and the kids were just being rambunctious! David and I were looking at something for a minute and turned around to find that Cy had made a "slide" using a big piece of cardboard on the pallet of toilet paper that was stacked in a descending pattern. The kids were taking turns on said slide...I was mortified.

When we got home, I went in to change Jonathan. I took my Moby off, looked down and as if the trip wasn't embarrassing enough...my fly was actually down!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Ahahaha! Priceless! It's awesome that they were the only kids in the store resourceful enough to make a slide. Most kids saw cardboard, but they saw MAGIC! Haha! I love those little boys...even if they are McCrazies sometimes! lol

Rachael said...

I tottally forgot that quote! Nephi feels honored you would remember his profound comment :)I cant believe youre fly was actually down!!! I think that is almost worse than the kids...maybe?

The Hull Family said...

I totally remember you having this conversation about two year olds at my house, but at the time I didn't have children and couldn't really appreciate the value of what Nephi said. Now I seriously get it!!
Thanks for sharing your embarrassing moments, I'm glad I am not the only one. Lately Owen likes to pretend to shoot other people who walk by us at the grocery store and he has no problem pointing his gun (fingers) right in someone's face....so embarrasing!! Or when I try to hold his hand he will scream, "don't hurt me mom!!" Like I am going to beat him or something. I feel your pain sister!!