Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Kids Are Angels

When I was a little girl my mom always told me that all she ever wanted was to be a mommy. I felt special knowing that we kids were her life's dream and in turn, all I ever wanted was to be a mommy. I need to remember to tell my kids that. I always want them to know that they are my dream come true. So here's a little bit about why my angels are so awesome...


Joey is a brilliant little guy. He applies more logic and reasoning to situations than many adults do. He loves science, he's never told me exactly why, but I think it's because he loves understanding the way things work. He's a kind person. I've never heard him speak ill of anybody. Sure he gets mad and tattles on his brothers, and maybe there've been some brotherly slurs exchanged, but I've never heard him make fun or call names just to be mean spirited. He's friends with everybody. He plays with the kids who get into trouble now and again but he isn't affected by it or dragged into their shenanigans. He's just their friend. That seems like such a mature personality trait to me. He's kind of a grown-up in a little body in a lot of ways. This is a big year for him and he knows it. Joey turns eight in July and he will be baptized shortly thereafter. We've talked with him about what a big year this is and discussed ways that he can prepare. He wants to read The Book Of Mormon before he gets baptized. He has started intently following along and reading verses aloud when we read together as a family. Joey loves telling jokes and making people smile. He's clever and quick witted with a rather dry sense of humor. He loves Brian Regan and has most of his acts memorized. He's such a shy kid except around family and when he's on stage. He loves being in plays. He's busy practicing for his role as Templeton in Charlotte's Web. I can't wait to see it!!! If it's even half as entertaining as his role as Grandpa George in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, we're in for treat! :)


Aaron is our little lover! He is the king of cuddles and hugs. Everybody he meets seems to fall in love with his beaming personality. He speaks with SO much enthusiasm it's precious and even a little comical at times. He loves doing things for others. He always asks to make things for people or to give things to his friends. He has a very kind heart. He's friends with everybody and looks out for his buddies. He's full of personality and he comes home from school with fantastic stories everyday. Sometimes he's playing "To Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street" but usually he's sharing things that really excited him that day. He always tries to do the right thing. Even without prompting he makes the right decision when one needs to be made. He loves playing baseball, especially inside with dad. He will always sacrifice to make others happy. If the boys have balloons and Cy's pops, Aaron will ALWAYS offer his. He never hesitates to share and if something is offered to him he always asks if he can have one for his brothers too. When he smiles you can't help but smile yourself! His enthusiasm is downright contagious. He's a rockin' kindergartener! He loves doing homework and even though he grumbles, I think he loves practicing his sight words with Daddy.


Talk about a bundle of personality! Cy is a kick in the pants! That's what I tell everybody anyway. This kid says THE most hilarious things. I call family at least once a week with some hilarious story about something he said. He speaks with a touch of a southern accent that makes everything he says 100% more hilarious. Grandma Renae says maybe he's channeling Grandpa Wheeler. He coined Jonathan's nickname. (All of my boys have at least one.) He calls him The Good Mr. Gacious. (pronounced like gracious just without the 'r') David's Grandpa Wheeler used to say "the goodness the gacious" when he held babies. In grandpa's honor David says the same thing. Cy thought that's what David was calling Jonathan and the name stuck. He is VERY smart. He pays such close attention to details in everything. You can just see the wheels turning when he's examining something. When he gets pensive we all stop and wait for whatever commentary is coming as a result of his 'studies'. We were out to dinner for Auntie Megan's birthday and he heard the waiters singing the Happy Birthday song from across the restaurant. They didn't sing the traditional song. He watched and waited until they finished, then turned and said, in his southern accent of course "I hate that song! They're singin' it wrong!" He is a Sunbeam this year and he loves it. I'm the primary chorister and I love watching him participate in the games.


Little J is brand new so we don't know him that well yet. ;) He was 5lb 10oz when he was born 6 weeks early. He was a little prince in the NICU. The nurses loved having a big baby. He seemed to "let them know" when he was ready to progress. He pulled his oxygen tube out and remained stable so they decided to take him off. Then he pulled his feeding tube out when he was ready to eat. ;) He was 10lb 6oz at hie 2 month appointment. That's insane weight gain which means he's eating like a champ and growing like one too. He's just started giving us smiles. :) There is something so awesome about little guys. I believe that we were spirits with personalities before we came to earth to receive a body. It's incredible to hold something so fresh from heaven in your arms. There's this feeling of awe when I look into my tiny babies eyes, like I'm seeing a little bit of 'who' they are. Like maybe if I look long and hard enough I'll catch a glimpse of him. Then they start grow and 'who they are' never disappoints! :)

3 comments:

s'mee said...

I see a lot of posts, status updates and such from a lot of moms that are pointing out the "ick" of being a mom. This post is lovely, you'll never regret a post like this. Your boys *are* amazing. They get it from their mom.

Rachel said...

They definitely are angels! And they're lucky to have a mommy like you, who loves them and appreciates them for the people that they are. Love you, Wiss!

The Hull Family said...

You are awesome Melissa!! I loved this post about all your sweet boys. I loved seeinng their pictures, they are all getting so big!! I'm pretty sure the last time I saw Joey he was only 5!!

So happy that you are blogging again! I'm looking forward to all the new posts!